Comments

Ammo for an 8 gauge…

A bunch of ammo for an 8 gauge shotgun. I know, it doesn’t seem very impressive. But I challenge you to find some 8g ammo, especially modern stuff loaded with Bismuth. Try and you’ll understand why seeing a pile of it is so unusual.

8 gauge ammo

8 gauge ammo

Eight gauges went out of favor in the US at the end of the 19th century. In 1918, they were outlawed for waterfowl and other federally-listed migratory game birds. Once they were outlawed, use plummeted and ammo makers stopped offering shells. Now any 8 gauge ammo is hard to find. Collectors covet it and their the ones you tend to snap it up.

Today, many states have outlawed anything bigger than a 10 gauge shotgun on any kind of game animal (This is pretty dumb, actually. A 10g 3 1/2″ magnum throws just as much lead as an 8.) So unless you’re shooting pests like pigeons and starlings, an 8 gauge is just plain illegal for hunting.

That doesn’t mean people don’t use them. Some states allow them, some people just use them, and big bores like 8s and even 4 gauges are still legal for waterfowl in the UK. That’s where these cartridges came from. They were loaded for an American big-bore collector in the ’80s. I guess the guy had 6000 rounds made up for him. Yeah, 6000. I don’t know what he was shooting, but that’s a lot of shells.

8 gauge ammo

8 gauge ammo

8 gauge ammo

8 gauge ammo

68 Responses to “Ammo for an 8 gauge…”

1. Gregg says:

Ron-

Google phrases “ammo auction” and “shotgun ammo auction” to find auctioneers who feature shotgun ammo. There are a couple of them out there. Once you find them, check all their upcoming auctions for the shells you are looking for. You’ll find them.

Good luck.

Gregg

2. Brad says:

Do you have any 8 gauge ammo for sale if so a price please thanks

3. Gregg says:

Hi Brad-

Nothing right now. Keep an eye on the site, though. There may be some for sale in the future.

Thanks,

Gregg

4. Dustin D. says:

Like to buy 8 g ammo if possible!

5. Gregg says:

Sorry — I missed you comment on my blog.

How much 8g ammo are you looking to buy? Are you a collector, or are you planning to use it?

Thanks,

Gregg

6. russell hooper says:

Hi 8 ga modern ammo is hard to come by, Alan Myers in UK loads it,in USA 2 amenent co loads some in black powder I load most of my 8 ga.components are available RH

7. Hi *ga ammo is hard to get,Alan Myers UK loads it,and 2nd Amement co has 8 ga black powder loads I load most of my own.Components are easily available Rh

8. Gregg says:

Thanks for the heads up. Yeah – modern 8g ammo is almost impossible to find. I know collectors who have the old stuff, but they’re not selling it.

Gregg

9. Jonah says:

Hi, I’m looking to buy 8 gauge shells as a collector, old, new, fired, unfired, I’m not picky, I just want 1-3 of those big shells to have as a conversation piece in my collection, do you know where to get them or how much they will cost?

10. Steve Edwards says:

I have just under one thousand 8 gauge Remington and Winchester kiln gun rounds if anyone is interested.

11. Jonah says:

Hi Steve, I’m interested in your ammo, please email me. Jonah-bowers18@hotmail.com

12. Hello ide check wards auction sight or sold usa auction sights.ive found them a gun shows as well. I use mainly industrial 8 ga hulls. years ago I had 15 boxes loaded in uk.in later years I load my own.

13. John Pierson says:

How can I purchase some?

14. Gregg says:

How much do you want?

Thanks,

Gregg

15. John Pierson says:

I’d like to get at least 100 rounds, loaded if possible. Empty would be fine too.

16. John Pierson says:

Steve,
    If they are reloadable I’m interested in about 100 hulls in Remington. Please text me at 8153541020.
    Thanks,
    John

17. John Pierson says:

Steve,
    I’m interested in about 100 hulls in Remington to reload. If possible text me at 8153541020.
    Thanks,
    John.

18. John Pierson says:

If any one has any 8ga hulls that they would part with, please contact me at 8153541020. Text or call
    Need them to reload myself.
    John Pierson