Comments

Ammo for an 8 gauge…

A bunch of ammo for an 8 gauge shotgun. I know, it doesn’t seem very impressive. But I challenge you to find some 8g ammo, especially modern stuff loaded with Bismuth. Try and you’ll understand why seeing a pile of it is so unusual.

8 gauge ammo

8 gauge ammo

Eight gauges went out of favor in the US at the end of the 19th century. In 1918, they were outlawed for waterfowl and other federally-listed migratory game birds. Once they were outlawed, use plummeted and ammo makers stopped offering shells. Now any 8 gauge ammo is hard to find. Collectors covet it and their the ones you tend to snap it up.

Today, many states have outlawed anything bigger than a 10 gauge shotgun on any kind of game animal (This is pretty dumb, actually. A 10g 3 1/2″ magnum throws just as much lead as an 8.) So unless you’re shooting pests like pigeons and starlings, an 8 gauge is just plain illegal for hunting.

That doesn’t mean people don’t use them. Some states allow them, some people just use them, and big bores like 8s and even 4 gauges are still legal for waterfowl in the UK. That’s where these cartridges came from. They were loaded for an American big-bore collector in the ’80s. I guess the guy had 6000 rounds made up for him. Yeah, 6000. I don’t know what he was shooting, but that’s a lot of shells.

8 gauge ammo

8 gauge ammo

8 gauge ammo

8 gauge ammo

71 Responses to “Ammo for an 8 gauge…”

1. Gregg says:

Ron-

Google phrases “ammo auction” and “shotgun ammo auction” to find auctioneers who feature shotgun ammo. There are a couple of them out there. Once you find them, check all their upcoming auctions for the shells you are looking for. You’ll find them.

Good luck.

Gregg

2. Brad says:

Do you have any 8 gauge ammo for sale if so a price please thanks

3. Gregg says:

Hi Brad-

Nothing right now. Keep an eye on the site, though. There may be some for sale in the future.

Thanks,

Gregg

4. Dustin D. says:

Like to buy 8 g ammo if possible!

5. Gregg says:

Sorry — I missed you comment on my blog.

How much 8g ammo are you looking to buy? Are you a collector, or are you planning to use it?

Thanks,

Gregg

6. russell hooper says:

Hi 8 ga modern ammo is hard to come by, Alan Myers in UK loads it,in USA 2 amenent co loads some in black powder I load most of my 8 ga.components are available RH

7. Hi *ga ammo is hard to get,Alan Myers UK loads it,and 2nd Amement co has 8 ga black powder loads I load most of my own.Components are easily available Rh

8. Gregg says:

Thanks for the heads up. Yeah – modern 8g ammo is almost impossible to find. I know collectors who have the old stuff, but they’re not selling it.

Gregg

9. Jonah says:

Hi, I’m looking to buy 8 gauge shells as a collector, old, new, fired, unfired, I’m not picky, I just want 1-3 of those big shells to have as a conversation piece in my collection, do you know where to get them or how much they will cost?

10. Steve Edwards says:

I have just under one thousand 8 gauge Remington and Winchester kiln gun rounds if anyone is interested.

11. Jonah says:

Hi Steve, I’m interested in your ammo, please email me. Jonah-bowers18@hotmail.com

12. Hello ide check wards auction sight or sold usa auction sights.ive found them a gun shows as well. I use mainly industrial 8 ga hulls. years ago I had 15 boxes loaded in uk.in later years I load my own.

13. John Pierson says:

How can I purchase some?

14. Gregg says:

How much do you want?

Thanks,

Gregg

15. John Pierson says:

I’d like to get at least 100 rounds, loaded if possible. Empty would be fine too.

16. John Pierson says:

Steve,
    If they are reloadable I’m interested in about 100 hulls in Remington. Please text me at 8153541020.
    Thanks,
    John

17. John Pierson says:

Steve,
    I’m interested in about 100 hulls in Remington to reload. If possible text me at 8153541020.
    Thanks,
    John.

18. John Pierson says:

If any one has any 8ga hulls that they would part with, please contact me at 8153541020. Text or call
    Need them to reload myself.
    John Pierson

19. Oscar Miller says:

Just need a couple 8 and 10 gauge emptys for a disply rack

20. Gregg says:

Hi, Oscar.

I would watch online ammo auctions. If you google “”vintage shotgun ammo auction” you’ll find some companies that specialize in old ammo. That’s the best place to find the stuff.

Thanks for the comment.