Comments
Original or redone? A .410 Parker Double Barrel Shotgun

Original or redone? A .410 Parker Double Barrel Shotgun

Original condition on a vintage shotguns is like good bird cover: I know it when I see it. The same is true with wood and metal finishes that have been restored. Spend enough time around old guns, and you start to develop an eye for what’s original and what isn’t.

So for everyone who thinks they’re good at spotting one or the other, here’s a test. Take a look at these pics and let me know what you think. Tell us why you think it, too. Tomorrow I’ll post the answer and who knows…maybe you’ll be right.

Original or redone? A .410 Parker Double Barrel Shotgun

All pics copyright James D. Julia Auctioneers. Be sure to check out all the splendid firearms in their upcoming sale.

Original or redone? A .410 Parker Double Barrel Shotgun

6 Responses to “Original or restored? A .410 Parker VH-grade double…”

1. Mike says:

I could be totally off base, but it looks redone to me. Case coloring is too uniform across all the metal, including no wear, even minimal on usual wear areas. The bluing also looks too perfect, like it’s never been either in the field or on the skeet range. The wood doesn’t have any wear marks either. The checkering looks a bit flattened as if it was lightly sanded and refinished. That’s what I can see from the pics. As I said, it could be an original museum quality piece. Either way it’s a beautiful shotgun!!

2. george moilanen says:

Looks like reconditioned to me.

3. Charles Dingwall says:

Would have to say refinished though I’m none too familiar about American colour hardening techniques. Photo deep into the action shows wear of nibbled metal so it cannot be an unused piece. Its just a gun at the end of the day and a rather plain one at that.

4. Ken R says:

Here goes. Engraving appears very sharp and would not be so if metal parts were polished down for refinishing. Could be hand chased after the fact, of course, but wouldn’t be much engraving left if the gun justified refinishing. Also, wood is even with abutting metal and would also have to be taken down for a refinish leaving it somewhat below adjacent metal parts. Going for original, near mint condition.

5. Mike says:

Could be. That’s why we’d need to see the gun in person to evaluate the condition. If I was in the market for a .410 shooter then it wouldn’t matter if it was refinished. If this purchase was as an investment, then I’d have to have an expert give it the “once over”.

6. Jeff Wemmer says:

Tough call. The colors appear correct as they have that iridescent hue that thus far nobody has been able to duplicate. The screws and engraving are also very sharp and don’t appear to be re-cut / re-slotted. Notice the proud wood and the slight oil staining at the lower left of the action.

The serial number and a in-person view would be required to make a final decision.
    BUT….If it is re-done, I’d sure like to get the contact info for that guy! Really nice gun, original or not.