Comments

Goodbye, little girl…

Me & Puck, back when she won the Gundog Stake at the Maine Bird Dog Club's spring trial

Me & Puck, back when she won the Gundog Stake at the Maine Bird Dog Club’s spring trial

Puck passed away today at 11:17am. I’m too shaken up right now to say much more. Yesterday was tough day for us, and so was last night and this morning. Puck seemed fine on Saturday, but by last evening she had lost most of the use of her hind legs. By this morning she was unable to stand up, and she whined and cried whenever I tried to move her. Good by, little girl…

Sleeping with Puck last night, our last evening together

Sleeping with Puck last night, our last evening together

I shot this videos just over a week ago. Puck and I were out looking for spring woodcock. I thought we would get out several more times this spring, but fate decided this would be our last day in the field together.

22 Responses to “Goodbye, little girl…”

1. Tom Obuhanych says:

Deep sympathy for your loss of Puck. I understand…I lost my
    Karelian Bear Dog that I had for 14 years March 16…its tough.
    Like losing your best friend…much can be said…but I very well know
    what its like.
    You have my heartfelt sympathy, Bless Puck…
    Tom from Cody

2. Giuseppe Papandrea says:

Gregg,
    I am so sorry to hear this buddy. My heart goes out to you and your family on your loss. I can say that I have felt this before and it is surreal and beyond painful. I know how close you were to her and I am positive she had a great life doing what she did best with you… her best friend, father, brother and soul mate and that is CHASING BIRDS.

Let me know if there is anything I can do. We all enjoyed hearing the stories afield with such a fine dog and will miss her.

Warm Regards,
    Giuseppe

3. Bill Davis says:

Gregg–I’m very sorry to hear about the loss of Puck! I’ve enjoyed your adventures with her and may she RIP. Best wishes, Bill

4. Bob says:

So, so sorry.

5. Jeff Wemmer says:

Hate to hear this but, comes a time my friend, comes a time.

Been there too many times in my life. Great that you were able to have a companion that shared your passion for the outdoors! So may dogs are denied the kind of life you provided for Puck – lucky dog!

I’ve often thought that it is a bitter irony that dogs are so giving & become such an integral part of our lives but are only with us for such a short time.

I believe it was the great Will Rogers who one said something to the effect of, “If I go to heaven after I die and there ain’t any dogs, send me where they went”…

My sentiments as well.

Again, sorry to hear about your loss.

JW

6. Rob Waterson says:

Hold tight to memories for comfort, lean on your friends for strength, and always remember how much Puck was cared about.

7. john andico says:

Gregg,
    Anyone who has had a bird dog and lost a bird dog feels that pain all over again when hearing news like this. As they say, the only thing wrong with a bird dog is they leave us too soon, they age too fast.
    Sorry for you loss.

John Andico
    Salinas, CA

8. John Vance says:

Gregg,

Sorry to hear of your loss.

John

9. D. Brooks says:

My sympathy. Words arent enough.
    DB

10. kip says:

Over hill, over dale,
    Thorough bush, thorough brier,
    Over park, over pale,
    Thorough flood, thorough fire,
    I do wander everywhere.
    I am that merry wanderer of the night.

Long may she wander.

11. At times like this I’m reminded of Corey Ford’s “The Road To Tinhamtown”. Puck will be standing there on the other
    side of that bridge, waiting for you when you cross it.

12. Tobin says:

Very sorry to hear about Puck. The end always come too swiftly, but you all will be able to remember her always in the best ways. Your stories with her will be missed. TK

13. Ken R says:

Very sorry, Gregg. I’ve been through this several times and it never gets easier.
    Ken R

14. Mike Hendricks says:

A great looking dog. I’m sorry for your loss. I know that words can’t take away the pain. I wish they could.

15. Gregg: I have felt your pain too often. Our canine friends are with us too short a time. They love us unconditionally when other friens are fickle. If you google “Rainbow Bridge” you may find some comfort in the poets words.

Best Regards, Your Friend…..George

16. Raj Guram says:

Hi Gregg,
    My condolences on loosing Puck.I know how difficult it is when this happens. The only consolation is the joy Puck gave you which so many people miss who have not even had a chance to keep a pet.

17. Neal says:

Gregg, Hang in there brother! You and your family are in our prayers today.

18. Tony Ambrose says:

Gregg – Our condolences to you and your family for your loss. Rest easy knowing that Puck lived the life she was meant to live. You gave her the opportunities to do what she was bred to do.
    Godspeed Puck. May your coverts be full of birds.

19. Mark Larson says:

My heart goes out to you Gregg. Words are never enough.

20. Ham Hackney says:

My condolences, Gregg, for your loss. Puck had lots of good days in the field with you and you did the right thing by her at the end. She had a lot better life than a good many dogs, thanks to you.

21. H Kauffman says:

Gregg, Sorry to hear of your loss. Having lost my Golden three weeks ago, after 14 years, with similar systems, I know what you are going through. The degree of sadness we feel, is in direct relationship to the joy they gave us with their presence.

22. David Guldberg says:

Gregg Im so sorry for your loss this brings tears to my eyes

I think the best way to cope with your loss is to get another pup with in 30 days

kind regards David